Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Windows 7: SATA controller in AHCI mode and standby issues

I recently decided to switch my SATA controller into AHCI mode. With this information that was easy enough.

What followed though were "BSODs"/stop errors, mainly on resuming from standby. Sadly, minidumps weren't created for these - but the errors were either KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR or KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (I didn't note which). Additionally, some applications crashed when resuming from standby with exception code C0000006 (STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR).

The problem apparently was KB977178 - "You receive various Stop error messages in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 when you try to resume a computer that has a large SATA hard disk". I noted that it only appears to update the Microsoft AHCI driver.

I have a large page file on another large non-system drive (and a small one on my system drive), so it fits the problem description (no access to the large page file until the drive spun up causing the errors). Indeed, after installing the hot fix the problem stopped.

So, just a hint in case anyone else runs into the same unfortunate issue..

No comments: