Monday, January 29, 2007

Just what the f*** is NMIndexStoreSvr.exe for?


It eats my CPU, it eats my memory, it eats my hard drive and it evens likes to hang on the shut down of my computer.

It also quite fun playing 720p video content with this process running, as well as any games!

Now it has just decided to crash on me... what fun!

So, I check the startup entries in Spybot, and search the registry, but the stupid app is nowhere to be found in the startup entries, and yet its there every time I turn my computer on!

So I use Process Explorer to track the bugger down. It turns out its part of... Nero! Its description is "Nero Home". Strange, since I don't have Nero Home installed. So in the end I renamed the file to some expletives, and now (gasp) I can use my computer again ;-)

7 comments:

Trexx said...

Nero = bloatware

Laurie Anne said...

Help... I have the same flipping pain in the cpu problem but have been so abused by this errrrr that I now need idiot proof instructions if you have a moment!
Cheers,
LA

Anonymous said...

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Software_Utilities/Disable_Nero_Scout_in_Nero_7.html

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Software_Utilities/Disable_Nero_Scout_in_Nero_8.html

Anonymous said...

My brother Just called me for help with this same Problem. It appears to be a Virus/Trojan Masking itself as a NERO file, But it is not. The NMI file is starting up As soon as you boot up...
Temporary fix, Look for it in your Prefetch File ( C:windows/prefetch )Delete it from there and then End the process in your task manager.
It will come back again once you reboot/start up your computer, but it should remain gone after you do this While compuer remains running.

This seems to be fairly new as I am not finding much anywhere on it. But it APPPEARs to be the same file from a year or two ago that masked itself under the file name ( iexplore.exe) so tommorow When I goto his house I will try measures that got rid of that torjan to get rid of this new one.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Anonymous said...

NMIndexStoreSvr Information

Unknown said...

You can find more information here: NMIndexStoreSvr.exe also.